The Payroll Manager is responsible for leading the payroll team by utilizing effective communication and expectations to team members and management. The Payroll Manager is responsible for leading and directing the payroll operations, payroll taxes & compliance, and general ledgers to ensure the timeliness, efficiency and accuracy of payroll processing and associated deliverables.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field.
- Computer proficiency in MS Office and Outlook.
- Maintain payroll information by building, preparing systems; directing the collection, calculation and entering of data.
- Manages a staff of 6 team members.
- Complies with federal, state and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains payroll guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedures.
- Works with Sales, HR, Benefits and IT to support client relations and onboarding.
- Handle escalated payroll issues with clients in a professional and courteous manner.
- Pays employees by directing the production and issuance of paychecks or electronic transfers to bank accounts. Oversees ACH payment processing for invoices and accounts receivable for collection of invoices.
- Prepares reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions leave, disability and nontaxable wages.
- Determines payroll liabilities by approving the calculation of employee federal and state income and social security taxes, and employer’s social security, unemployment, and workers compensation payments.
- Balances the payroll accounts by resolving payroll discrepancies.
- Month end and year-end reconciliation’s through to the W2 issuance.
- Promotes a workplace environment focused on world-class customer service.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Needed
- Organizational skills (i.e. to be methodical, organized, and be able to prioritize and manage multiple issues at once).
- Computer Skills with experience in using Microsoft Office; Payroll Systems and Payroll Taxes.
- Communication skills (i.e. effectively communicate with co-workers, clients and employees in an appropriate and professional manner whether that is in person, over the phone, or via email).
- Ability to learn payroll computer system and its capabilities.
- Working knowledge of employment laws as it relates to paying employees properly.
- CPP or Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
- Working knowledge of Kronos Workforce Ready and Salesforce a plus.
- The Payroll Manager will be working at a desk in an office within the payroll department in a relatively quiet office environment.
- The Payroll Manager will be expected to work Monday thru Friday, beginning at 8:30 A.M. and ending at 5:00 P.M.
- There may be times when payrolls run late, clients are waiting for requests to be completed, holiday processing weeks or at year-end, at which time the Payroll Manager will be expected to stay until all payrolls and tasks are completed.